Friday, April 24, 2015

Poem Post #7: Responding to: "Sonnet 29" Shakespeare, William

       When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
       For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
       That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

       This poem takes a turn on the idea "money doesn't bring you happiness". As a matter of fact, this poem actually says "money will make you sad and excluded". My paraphrasing of the poem goes as follows:

       When I'm drowning in money and the jealousy of others,
I am alone in my own island, 
And I ask for mercy when I deserve no pity,
And I damn myself for being rich,
Wishing to be as rich in hope as I am in wealth,
To be known like him, to have friends like him,
Desiring to have meaning in my life other than money, 
Getting the least money from what I enjoy the most; 
I hate my decisions,
I think about you, and how I am,
I'm still asking for mercy;
       Because you loved me for my money
       I want to be poor. 
       
       These emotions may be coming from Shakespeare as a justification for his decision to do what he loves, writing, instead of what would give him the most money. He expresses that had he followed the money instead of his dreams he would be miserable, lonely, and an outcast. It's almost like one of those stories about wanting to fit in, and in the real world, fitting in means being average. With average amounts of money and a life lacking luxurious assets. To Shakespeare, fitting in economically means being rich in spirit and hope, as he described in the poem. He believes that his happiness will come from not being alone and from doing what he really wants to do with money aside.

1 comment:

  1. A very good analysis. And a great connection between the poem, his views, and his biography.

    ReplyDelete